Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Vic Holman
Forum Full Member

Time Machine
Thursday, December 16 2010 @ 10:34 PM CST

I know there have been many forums about people having their hard drive crash and losing a lot of files that where not backed up.

Now, i do use time machine at work and home. And wouldn't ya know it, my hard drive at home started to fail, crash and burn, destroy the known universe by creating a black hole. Luckily i was able to get the hard drive replaced in a days turn around time. Thankfully it was under warranty and i had apple care as well.

Now it is one thing to back up your music files, but what about your programs, presets & preferences, etc.? Well when i re-hooked up my computer I was then able to use time machine to reset my computer exactly the way it was.

Time machine worked perfectly. It can save a lot of headaches, going postal and time. You really should use it because you never know if and when your hard drive will bite the dust.

well, you don't see that everyday
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Re:Time Machine
Thursday, December 16 2010 @ 10:36 PM CST

i love Time Machine

backing out Flash updates is my fave so far
papag
Forum Full Member

Thursday, December 16 2010 @ 10:49 PM CST

Does it use much space on the hard drive?

Please check out my latest tune "Chinese Flutes"...
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Thursday, December 16 2010 @ 11:10 PM CST

Quote by: papag
Does it use much space on the hard drive?

you wanna use a separate external drive for it

something like a 1 TB book drive
jiguma
Forum Full Member

Thursday, December 16 2010 @ 11:48 PM CST

I had the same experience as Vic - Time Machine allowed me to do a full restore to pre-crash status on my new (and larger) hard drive which was replaced on warranty.
Smile
MarkHolbrook
Forum Full Member

Friday, December 17 2010 @ 06:19 AM CST

Good deal you guys! I'm glad to hear this!

I have always been a little paranoid and done both TimeMachine and I do periodic backups of the entire drive using SuperDuper off to a removable drive.

This goes for both my laptop and my MacPro. I think my plan always had been that if I have a catastrophic boot disk crash that I can replace the disk, re-image it from SuperDuper than use TimeMachine to get up to date between the image backup of time and the time the disk crashed.

Wherever you go, there you are!
virtualruffy
Forum Full Member

Friday, December 17 2010 @ 10:37 AM CST

I use carbon copy cloner for duplicating drives or transferring the info if replacing a drive. Super duper is also good. Time machine is good for automatic user data backups. I use it on the time capsule fore the itunes mac mini server so I never have to worry about backing up changes when music is added, etc. These programs can be gotten from macupdate.com or their vendor sites.

The lacie rugged portable hardrives are great for making clones or transporting your data. small fast and solid.

my greatest inspiration is my own damnation, pain is eternal
mvh9591
Forum Full Member

Friday, December 17 2010 @ 12:13 PM CST

I use "Time Machine" - never needed to restore - knock on wood.
I'm happy to hear it works.

mvh : )

PS: I mistakenly drug some files into the time machine folder from my desktop to back up (should have made a serarate folder outside time machine) Now I can't drag the files back without an error message. I pull up time machine and I can't see the files - it's like they're there but I can't have access. Has anyone else experienced this? If so is there a work around to recover them? Any help would be appreciated.

* Post Removed *
Friday, December 31 2010 @ 09:35 AM CST

* This message has been removed *

MarkHolbrook
Forum Full Member

Friday, December 31 2010 @ 09:50 AM CST

Quote by: -Harold-
OK, question: After a HD crash, the new blank drive is installed.

Then what?

In other words, do you have to load OS from scratch, then restore the Time Machine backup?

If so, is there a backup utility/app for Mac that will actually make a full compressed backup image of the MAC HD that can restore everything to the new drive in one fell swoop?

For example, I use Norton Ghost for this on a PC if necessary. It works really well, in a matter of minutes your computer is exactly as it was at the last backup - in a single step using the recovery CD to boot on

Harold,

SuperDuper does just that. What I do is image my boot drive (500gb) on to an external drive using SuperDuper. This external drive can be used as the boot drive. So in case of the complete HD failure I simply replace the boot drive with a new one. Boot to the external drive. Run SuperDuper, image from the external to the newly replaced internal. Restart, disconnect the external and life goes on.

Obviously from Vic and Neil you can do it via TimeMachine but then yes you are following the route of:

Install new disk
Load OS from DVDs
Then use TimeMachine to restore everything

The nice thing about that approach is that you'll probably get just about to where you were. With SuperDuper unless you image your boot disk nightly (it does take some time) then you might be a few days or weeks old. But then TimeMachine can help there too!

Wherever you go, there you are!