Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
drakonis
Forum Full Member

Re:comment fatigue
Wednesday, September 26 2007 @ 03:07 PM CDT

Quote by: Moviz
Well I've never stayed up as late as I do since joining MJ it's got to 2am most nights now and it's still hard to answer and comment to all etc... Now that I've read about people getting emails about songs being posted though, it explains to me how immediately some members post a song, a hoard of their regular fans swoop in to comment and vote, even though they haven't apparently been on line or posting for weeks. I wondered how they knew to come out of the woodwork LOL (it's an 'age' thing). I suppose/presume that comes from selecting in the personal'preferences' page? Hmmm You learn something every day, M

Careful, if you click that checkbox, I guarantee you will be up until 4 AM, or 5 AM, then pretty soon you'll need to go into the bedroom in the morning just to tap yourself on the shoulder and wake yourself up. That's when it gets scary. :-)
ttfn,
Drakonis
Moviz
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, September 26 2007 @ 04:19 PM CDT

Quote by: drakonis
Well I've never stayed up as late as I do since joining MJ it's got to 2am most nights now and it's still hard to answer and comment to all etc... Now that I've read about people getting emails about songs being posted though, it explains to me how immediately some members post a song, a hoard of their regular fans swoop in to comment and vote, even though they haven't apparently been on line or posting for weeks. I wondered how they knew to come out of the woodwork LOL (it's an 'age' thing). I suppose/presume that comes from selecting in the personal'preferences' page? Hmmm You learn something every day, M

Careful, if you click that checkbox, I guarantee you will be up until 4 AM, or 5 AM, then pretty soon you'll need to go into the bedroom in the morning just to tap yourself on the shoulder and wake yourself up. That's when it gets scary. :-)
ttfn,
Drakonis

Well I already thought time was passing me by faster and faster the older I get and then I go and get a computer.... and it goes faster still LOL

Just Smile

It's never too late.... is it?
AEROjet
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, September 26 2007 @ 05:01 PM CDT

To keep up with Macjams talent, you have to pick favorites. Then you have to pick your favorite favorites. Then you have to quit your day job.
Ejh
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, September 26 2007 @ 09:13 PM CDT

Yeah, this is one that I'm struggling with right now...

One of the ironies of life at MacJams is that if you stay on the site long enough you tend to 'fav' a lot of people whose work you have enjoyed. You are also probably continuing to check out other songs at random in your areas of interest, or checking out people recommended by friends, or whose songs are rated highly...

And then comes a day when all of a sudden you can't listen to even all the new tunes from your fav's in a night, let alone go scouting into the unknown... And it's harder to write thoughtful comments about more and more songs...

And if you don't, you find yourself reading the comments in forums about the 'MacJams cliques', wondering, "Are they talking about ME?" Because it gets harder and harder to extend listening beyond the folks you already know and respect and want to respond to...

And if you just vote or fav and don't leave a comment, that's another whole set of upset in the forums...

And ultimately, if you're me, you come to a night when you say, "Hey, this was supposed to be FUN, not an obligation..."

It's hard to keep it all balanced, especially if you like and care about musicians who are posting things, and genuinely enjoy giving encouragement, and know that YOU yourself are going to want to hear from folks the next time you have a tune of your own to post...

Ultimately, it comes down, as so many things do, to remembering why you're doing it, even if there's a short list of whys, and letting it come back to being enjoyable, and just doing the best you can...

Thousands of songs on this site. None of us can get to 'em all...

Ed

"We have to remember...when it's surrender that's called for, it's not surrender of your brains. It's surrender of your ego. It's a different thing." --Bruce Cockburn
echoroom
Forum Full Member

Thursday, September 27 2007 @ 01:48 AM CDT

Does anyone esle get a feeling of guilt if they're away from the site for a while, or don't comment as much?

I've had problems with my wrists (still have) so am trying to minimise typing, so i haven't been on the site as much, but I feel I'm not doing something i should be!

Medical help required!

steve

steve
Moviz
Forum Full Member

Thursday, September 27 2007 @ 06:25 AM CDT

Quote by: Mystified

I wondered how they knew to come out of the woodwork LOL (it's an 'age' thing). I suppose/presume that comes from selecting in the personal'preferences' page? Hmmm You learn something every day, M

If you go to your artist page (you must be logged in to see this) and look under your favorites, there is a place to check a box to 'receive new song emails.'

...just in case you hadn't seen that feature. Smile

Thanks Mystfied...I had grasped that.. at last LOL.. I suppose I've been er...mystified by it all... Dah !!!! M

Just Smile

It's never too late.... is it?

ledebutant
Forum Full Member

Thursday, September 27 2007 @ 09:31 AM CDT

Quote by: echoroom
Does anyone esle get a feeling of guilt if they're away from the site for a while, or don't comment as much?

Yes! I've been here for 2.5 years and there are just times in life there are busier than others or I'm sick or something like that that I just can't participate here as much, or even do music for that matter and it eats me up that I can't comment as much. Part of it is that I feel I get so much from the site that I feel I should be paying back in all the time.