Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
rover101
Forum Full Member

Quality.
Tuesday, October 09 2007 @ 04:52 PM CDT

Mixer quality, low to high; GB, Logic, Tracktion, DP. How does Pro tools LE compare? How far ahead is PT HD?

Just wondering.

Cheers, Shaky

Noli bastardi carborundum
Axgrinder
Forum Full Member

Re:Quality.
Wednesday, October 10 2007 @ 01:27 PM CDT

Ich entschuldige mich!

*Soon to be updated* {I'm here for the "M-U-S-I-C" not the "F-O-R-U-M"} With all this great music, how does one score'um? funny animated gif
apb
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, October 10 2007 @ 02:46 PM CDT

.. wasn't sure if you meant recording bit rate supported etc Shaky ..
or in the 'ability to mix' ... I have noticed one thing perhaps
worth mentioning in passing and perhaps relevant(?):

GB v3 (at least - I dunno about v4) allows you to mix volume in
+/- 1.2 db approx .. Logic Pro 7: +/- 0.1 db (if I recall correctly) ..and haven't missed some extra key press in GB ...which gives that little extra finesse in granularity...same thus goes for automation points. Personally, I very seldom find I need that granularity.. but nice to know it is there .. lol.

It would be nice if there was some matrix around with some fundamental features vs sw and sw version .. showing which can do what.
rover101
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, October 10 2007 @ 03:39 PM CDT

I was talking of the quality of the software mixing engine, rather than anything else; I have a feeling (and my nephew the dance guy confirms it) that they just ain't all the same; what I have found is that DP just gives better sounding mixes than the others; part of this, I am sure, is due to the quality of their plug-ins, part to the quality of the mix engine - they are not all created equal.

Cheers, Shaky

Thursday, October 11 2007 @ 02:42 AM CDT

Quote by: Axgrinder
Ich entschuldige mich!

I thought as much!
rover101
Forum Full Member

Thursday, October 11 2007 @ 01:24 PM CDT

Ich entschuldige mich!

As we say to our Frenchmen around here, 'Speak English, you're in Alberta now."

Cheers, Shaky

Tiny_Man_Inside
Forum Full Member

Thursday, October 11 2007 @ 03:17 PM CDT

shaky,

you're right that the mix engines are all different. Here's my limited experience -

GB - I don't really like the sound of it. I can't get a decent sound out of GB. This site is proofpositive that others can, but it doesn't sound crisp enough for my tastes. I always feel like everything's a bit "muffled" when I use GB.

Pro Tools - I migrated to PT after starting at GB. I consider PT to give a very polished sound. I'm not a fan of the included plugs, but their add-ons, while super expensive, are pretty good (I loved the Pulltec bundle). I hate that Digidesign locks you into their hardware, so I ditched PT even though I liked it as a program and thought that the mix engine was pretty good.

I've also used Logic and Digital Performer. Logic sounds similar to PT to me, but I try not to use it much because the UI doesn't sit right with me. I didn't use DP long enough to really hear the difference, because it was a demo I can't justify spending $500 on it. I will say that I've heard some pretty impressive work out of DP, but then again I've heard really impressive work in all of these programs... The Composer mixed our song Rubicon in DP and I think the results are pretty sweet. Excellent clarity despite the hard-hitting nature of the guitars. He used all DP plug-ins except for Ambience (free reverb plug).

Currently I use Tracktion for all the stuff I work on. I know you are familiar with this program, as you've plugged it here many times. A breeze to use, very powerful editing, and great for tracking audio. However, IMO the mix engine sounds a lot more RAW than PT or Logic. For the type of music that we make, that's great. But, I can see where others wouldn't find it pleasing.

So, this review is all subjective... talking about tone is always such a hard thing to do, because everyone hears things differently. I don't have any numbers or stats to back up my personal opinions... but that's what subjectively is all about, right?

Mason

Axgrinder
Forum Full Member

Thursday, October 11 2007 @ 03:21 PM CDT

Quote by: rover101
Ich entschuldige mich!

As we say to our Frenchmen around here, 'Speak English, you're in Alberta now."

Cheers, Shaky

"But you don't have to know how to drive" ;-P

What...... you don't speak "Dashboard Translator?" "Ich entschuldige mich!" = I apologize in German. S-O-R-R-Y!!!

*Soon to be updated* {I'm here for the "M-U-S-I-C" not the "F-O-R-U-M"} With all this great music, how does one score'um? funny animated gif