Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
PaddyNavinCaryatid
Forum Full Member

Re:Leap to Logic
Sunday, December 26 2010 @ 12:00 PM CST

I moved to Logic Express during version 8 and have loved it's sheer depth and breadth of tools. I still use GarageBand, for collabs, for song sketching and occasionally to produce a full song. I nearly always start a project in GB and then pull it into Logic to work on it in detail. I find GB is a terrific 'sit down and record' application for this purpose.
Logic opens up so many possibilities, I doubt I've used 10% of it's capability and I don't ever see myself needing to go Pro. Flextime, Amp designer, AU integration, bus sends all get used regularly and still I've not scratched the surface. MIDI still confuses me but I get by. I have a Novation SL Zero midi controller which let's me mix on the fly, storing the levels as i move the faders, like a real producer! Logic Express is a very worthy upgrade. Your kids have opened up yet more hours stuck in the studio trying to get that song just right!
Have fun with Logic, my only gripe is that it pushed me to spend money on midi controllers and off board DSP units due to the amazing integration.

Music is in everyone, somehow, somewhere
tonestones
Forum Junior

Sunday, December 26 2010 @ 12:27 PM CST

I've been using logic for years and feel pretty comfortable with it. However, I don't consider myself an expert. Logic is so feature rich that you dive in deep you'll never recover. My advice is to just start using it and learn the things "lazily", as the need presents itself. Logic's documentation is pretty good, well organized. Once you get how the core midi and audio engines work the rest will fall into place. Just start slowly and don't get intimidated.
RazorsKiss
Forum Chatty

Sunday, December 26 2010 @ 01:32 PM CST

My wife got me the upgrade to Logic Studio from Express...
I fear my tiny 1.8ghz 148 gb 2007 imac is not up to the task...
So, i think it will stay in its box for a minute, while i debate the vitrues of a new imac...
Express changed more than the way i recorded, it changed my tone drastically.
The eq's, mastering settings, reverbs, and vocal aids such as compressors and dessers help to shape and take my music to a new level.
You will love it!

The Rad Project
dimm witness
Forum Full Member

Sunday, December 26 2010 @ 04:04 PM CST

just got it too ;-) finally got to mess with it around 11pm and made a "song"

read the booklet AFTERWARD lol. oh, and trashed the demo song not thinking I'd need it ;-)

have fun!

jiguma
Forum Full Member

Sunday, December 26 2010 @ 10:22 PM CST

Quote by: snowdragon
Well, the last of the great GarageBand holdouts has fallen.

My kids got me Logic Express 9 for Christmas and after having spent all of Christmas afternoon and well into the evening glued to my iMac, I'm hooked. (I'm guessing it won't be long until I upgrade to the full studio version.)

So, to all the MJers who have "suggested" the move up to Logic over the years, yes, you were right.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Happy Holidays all.

Yay snow!
Great kids!
Cheers from Oz,
Neil