Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
fosod
Forum Full Member

Record Deal
Wednesday, August 04 2004 @ 01:38 PM CDT

Folks-for-brains,

Okay, so, I've been around for a little while... you know, in MacJams and stuff... and I stll have one unresolved issue.... Where are all the talent scouts? Where are the producers? How come nobody has approached me and said "Son, you have some super neat-o stuff and we'd like to give you a zillion dollars to record it on our label"???

Is there no way for MacJams to reach out to labels and farm out its resident talent? It would be mutually beneficial... what bragging rights for MJ to say, "Yeah, we hosted this guy's shizzle before he made it in the big leagues: that makes us really, really cool."

Am I alone on this one? Am I being naive? Are my expectations ridiculous?

I dunno. As a community, this is a beautiful and wonderfulicious place... but I dunno, I wish it led somewhere... like... down Money Avenue or Fame Boulevard.... or even Cruddy, Little-Known Inde-Label Street.

Fosod ("the most Fosodest of them all")

Re:Record Deal
Wednesday, August 04 2004 @ 01:47 PM CDT

Quote by: fosod
Am I alone on this one? Am I being naive? Are my expectations ridiculous?

No, you are not alone. I want to be discovered, too, and makes lots of money entertaining with my voice, so I don't have to design soup labels any more.
fosod
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, August 04 2004 @ 02:01 PM CDT

Soup labels? Better than editing market research.
Mcboy
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, August 04 2004 @ 02:06 PM CDT

I live for music.......

Wednesday, August 04 2004 @ 02:11 PM CDT

Quote by: Mcboy
weel u can start here:http://www.apple.com/itunes/musicmarketing/

Record Deal

Excellent. I'm on my way. Re re re: me me me...
gudkarma
Forum Regular Poster

Wednesday, August 04 2004 @ 02:12 PM CDT

i guess no one wants to go to the crossroads with me, eh?

gudkarma
Forum Regular Poster

Wednesday, August 04 2004 @ 02:16 PM CDT

i just sent in a request for an application.
fosod
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, August 04 2004 @ 02:39 PM CDT

Yeah, I just applied too. I'm not gonna hold my breath though. Anybody know a guy that knows a guy that knows a guy that was approved?

And what happens if you are approved? They send you a contract and you sign away 95% of the proceeds and they sell it on iTunes? I'm really curious about this. They must get a GAGILLION applications a day....

dchapman
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, August 04 2004 @ 02:48 PM CDT

Now I don't want to seem negative on this whole "show me the money" approach that's being discussed, BUT

If you want interest you need to create a buzz, not just post a song on the internet. I think the days of submitting demo tapes is long gone. I was pushing an original project for quite a few years, with minimal regional success and NO recognition otherwise.

Make a name for yourself. Create a following. Generate interest in your product. The key thing to remember is that to them you are a PRODUCT... and if you can't generate income then you're a useless product no matter how good your product is.

Now i'm not saying you can't make it big. But don't put all of your eggs in one basket. Create your music for you first. Then get it to as many people as possible. If they dig your tunes and WANT more, then you're on the right track.

Passive internet marketing isn't going to go far. MacJams is an amazing community and i've heard some amazing material surface here (one day I'll get my current project completed and actually submit a song... I'm a perfectionist... doh!) BUT what's a label gonna do, say "Hey you and your PowerBook, you're signed."

Check out my Latest Instrumental: Waiting for the Other

Wednesday, August 04 2004 @ 02:51 PM CDT

If you and your powerbook get signed... form a band! I would... with MacJam's members!