Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Dadai.2
Forum Full Member

Re:Brace for Impact
Sunday, December 17 2017 @ 09:03 PM CST

I read here and at other sites a kind of hysteria that "America as we know it is about to end" every time some new bit of news comes out. Just tell me. America's gonna die because of?

Global warming
Repub tax bill
Retraction of 2015 Net neutrality EO
Trump collusion with Russia
Retracting Obama Executive orders
Trump dissing the Media

No, I didn't vote for Trump...
And, our country is more resilient than is often recognized. I mean, we did survive Obama! 😄 Cue to laugh a bit...

Happy holidays!
Les_Kloo
Forum Full Member

Monday, December 18 2017 @ 01:11 PM CST

Quote by: Dadai.2
I read here and at other sites a kind of hysteria that "America as we know it is about to end" every time some new bit of news comes out. Just tell me. America's gonna die because of...?

Global warming
Repub tax bill
Retraction of 2015 Net neutrality EO
Trump collusion with Russia
Retracting Obama Executive orders
Trump dissing the Media

No, I didn't vote for Trump...
And, our country is more resilient than is often recognized. I mean, we did survive Obama! 😄 Cue to laugh a bit...

Happy holidays!

Particledots and others have posted hundreds of ways that America is being screwed over by the GOP and Trump. The fact that you use the term “resilient” at least implies that you recognize that resilience is necessary. The damage is incremental. It’s death by a thousand cuts, although we can agree that “death” may be too strong a word. America is merely being battered and abused, driven into a state of moral and physical decrepitude, all in the interest of making our wealthy citizens wealthier. You OK with that? Is that how a country should be run?

Global warming "hysteria":

There’s a difference between "America as we know it is about to end" and “America's gonna die.”

Reasonable people don’t believe that America is going to die because of global warming. America will survive. We will survive the flooding. We will survive the continued acidification of the oceans. We will survive the decline of seafood in our diet. We will survive our reduced cognitive abilities as the atmospheric CO2 content increases. We will survive the mixing of isolated ecosystems and the introduction of previously isolated diseases. We will survive the episodes of mass immigration. We will survive the release of prehistoric microbes as the permafrost thaws. We will survive the episodes of worldwide famine. Oh sure, there will be a lot of misery in the world, but we will survive, in the same way that people sometimes survive high-speed head-on car collisions.

The richer countries will survive. No doubt some fraction of the people in those countries will come up with ways to profit from the changes, which will predominantly hurt the poorer countries. Warming will cause devastation for billions of people, but you can bet that the wealthy class will survive unscathed, walled off from the poor slobs who neglected their duty to inherit a boatload of money. The ruling class needs those people to do the work that keeps the AC running.

It will take many decades, maybe centuries, before people say, “Damn, that global warming really sucks.” This is not like a Hollywood disaster movie where we are thrown into post-apocalyptic survival mode over the course of a few days. It will be a slow, inexorable process — the proverbial frog in boiling water — your head in a vice, one half-turn per decade. In any case, we will all be dead by the time the shit really hits the fan. Even in the most pessimistic scenario, you are untouchable in the face of global warming, so you can safely continue to dismiss the concept and all those wringing their hands over it.

My music is much better than it sounds.
particledots
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, December 19 2017 @ 08:03 AM CST

Quote by: Daugrin

Nothing unusual happened. Maybe you could relax a little? In deference to your stern, heart felt warning, please keep all informed if ya feel something hit.

Daug

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/dec/18/twitter-enforcing-anti-abuse-rules-clean-up-act-abuse-hate-symbols-sexual-advances-violent-groups
particledots
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, December 19 2017 @ 08:15 AM CST

Nothing unusual happened. Maybe you could relax a little? In deference to your stern, heart felt warning, please keep all informed if ya feel something hit.

Daug

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/18/us-outnumbered-14-to-1-as-it-vetoes-un-vote-on-status-of-jerusalem
particledots
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, December 19 2017 @ 08:28 AM CST

Daug

http://billmoyers.com/story/increasingly-necessity-15-point-guide-surviving-authoritarianism/
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, December 19 2017 @ 02:38 PM CST

Les_Kloo, at the same time I think that we need to caution ourselves that “an inconvenient apparent correlation” is not necessarily “an inconvenient TRVTH.”   As we contemplate perhaps-sweeping global policy changes, and especially as we seem to be spending many billions(!) of dollars on them in trans-national treaty organizations (Paris ...) that seem to be financially accountable to no one, perhaps it pays to be a little more skeptical.

“Feel-good group-think” can be a very dangerous thing, and clever people can find all sorts of ways to make all sorts of money from it.   Doesn’t it feel warm-and-fuzzy to think of “saving Earth™?”   Why, how could there possibly be any opposition to the very thought of it, or to spending any amount of money in the noble pursuit of it?   “Therefore(!), be careful!”

I happen to be very pleased that the United States is extricating itself from the Paris agreements, because I look at the ongoing (multi-billion dollar) expense and hold it up against the organization’s vacuous actual promises.   When I do this, I feel certain that the individual nations which comprise the world community can do much better without throwing their money down this apparently-bottomless and financially-unaccountable well.   The United States, for example, has an Environmental Protection Agency which was created by its own government and which is therefore clearly accountable to the nation.   Within the territory of the United States, this organization has real teeth.   Why should the US-EPA cede any authority or discretion to Parisians, and why are we footing some stupendous bills?

Long ago, I feel that it turned into (IMHO) a decidedly self-serving money-pit.   Yes, I think that a whole lot of Missouri skepticism™ would do all of us – and maybe Earth™, too – a whole lot of good.   Of course “we are all fellow passengers on this planet.”   But we are sometimes also just greedy human beings, too.   Therefore, “not so fast ...”   We all want to save the planet, maybe, but we were not born yesterday.

Is this the only way to tackle this problem?   (No.)   Is it the only way, much less a necessary one?   No.

Is the world going to melt if we don’t do it?   No.   Keep your wallet firmly in your pocket as we talk it over.
chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, December 19 2017 @ 03:56 PM CST

Quote by: MikeRobinson
I happen to be very pleased that the United States is extricating itself from the Paris agreements, because I look at the ongoing (multi-billion dollar) expense and hold it up against the organization’s vacuous actual promises.   When I do this, I feel certain that the individual nations which comprise the world community can do much better without throwing their money down this apparently-bottomless and financially-unaccountable well.

Did we not address earlier in great detail? Ah yes, here is:

http://www.macjams.com/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=8;showtopic=282858;onlytopic=;show=10;page=34;page=33

The monetary contribution is for guaranteed loans that comes with the requirement for independent monitoring of benchmarks and results. It is not a give-away. This is the exact opposite of "vacuous actual promises" and "financially-unaccountable." AND the US contribution to the program is a pittance compared to the funds already committed to domestic initiatives.

You are making factual claims that are demonstrably incorrect.

If you are going to make a claim you need to back it up with objective EVIDENCE. Your "opinion" is only worth as much as the extent of your relevant knowledge and expertise. In this case I don't see any indication that you are in possession of such with respect to either the accords or climate science.

Being "skeptical" means applying critical thinking skills to analyze the proportional degree of confidence merited by all available evidence, including an honest assessment of the extent of your own lack of information. It does not mean "uninformed denial."

“Ya, that idea is dildos.” Skwisgaar Skwigelf
GET SONG FEEDBACK --> MacJams Critics Circles
particledots
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, December 20 2017 @ 07:03 AM CST

Day one. Nothing unusual happened. Maybe you could relax a little? In deference to your stern, heart felt warning, please keep all informed if ya feel something hit.

Daug

https://www.npr.org/2017/12/19/571754894/charts-see-how-much-of-gop-tax-cuts-will-go-to-the-middle-class
magnatone
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, December 20 2017 @ 09:45 AM CST

Quote by: MikeRobinson
We all want to save the planet, maybe, but we were not born yesterday.

the words of someone who apparently was born yesterday

my most recent song: "First Light (solo piano)"

particledots
Forum Full Member

Thursday, December 21 2017 @ 12:30 AM CST