Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
mr_mordenus
Forum Full Member

GarageBand Issue
Monday, March 19 2018 @ 02:31 PM CDT

Got a vexing thing going on with GarageBand that's proving to be a serious problem. Simply put... when I add an audio region and move it to the beginning of the piece, GarageBand kicks it back two seconds. It simply will not allow anything to begin after two seconds. But there are numerous bits that do, and I've never had this problem before.

Anyone ever had this problem? I've got the metronome disabled, tried beats/project vs time, everything that can be switched on or off, I've tried it. Any ideas?
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Re:GarageBand Issue
Monday, March 19 2018 @ 03:43 PM CDT

maybe try toggling "snap to grid" off and on (i think it's command-G - look around the menus for it)

i wonder if the end of the song is refusing to move. what if you manually move it right a ways to assure there is room for the track you are dragging in?
mike_d
Forum Full Member

Monday, March 19 2018 @ 04:20 PM CDT

Are you adding to an existing track? If so, maybe try creating a new track and dropping it there?

I've had my own oddities with Garageband (when I used to record anyway) - like playing a "ghost" audio recording long after the region actually ended. It was like I had echo FX on, set to the max.

If I can't fix it, it ain't broke
mr_mordenus
Forum Full Member

Monday, March 19 2018 @ 05:29 PM CDT

Quote by: SmokeyVW
maybe try toggling "snap to grid" off and on (i think it's command-G - look around the menus for it)

i wonder if the end of the song is refusing to move. what if you manually move it right a ways to assure there is room for the track you are dragging in?

'Snap to Grid' isn't available; it's 'grayed out' as an option.

But I tried opening a blank project, and 'Snap To Grid' was available then. Made no difference; BG still kicks any imported audio to the 0:02 mark anyway.

Lots of room on the project too. Can move anything either way, but not past the 0:02 second mark.

Thanks, Bill. Appreciate the ideas.
mr_mordenus
Forum Full Member

Monday, March 19 2018 @ 05:36 PM CDT

Quote by: mike_d
Are you adding to an existing track? If so, maybe try creating a new track and dropping it there?

I've had my own oddities with Garageband (when I used to record anyway) - like playing a "ghost" audio recording long after the region actually ended. It was like I had echo FX on, set to the max.

No, it's a new track created when I drop a piece of dialogue from iTunes into GarageBand. Some of the earlier tracks do start at 00:00, but nothing I create now will.

And if I move on of those earlier tracks back past 0:02, GB won't allow it to be moved back to the beginning either.

I'm trying to sync character dialogue to an animation scene, and one of the characters begins speaking almost right at the beginning.

Thanks for the feedback anyway, I really appreciate it. This is really turning into a thing.
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Monday, March 19 2018 @ 07:41 PM CDT

is it just one specific audio file? if so, maybe that file has metadata in it that forces start time somehow?

can you import the file to Audacity and then export it to "launder" possible metadata or other data problems?
Skean
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, March 20 2018 @ 08:22 AM CDT

I Almost Always Try to Think Positive Thoughts.

mr_mordenus
Forum Full Member

Thursday, March 22 2018 @ 10:11 AM CDT

Problem has been dealt with. Not fixed, but sideslipped and dodged. Bill, I used Audacity to create a very brief fragment of dialogue with zero space before the first word, and then dropped it directly into the animation software's audio layer. Anime Studio has a fairly basic but quite useful audio handling capability. It worked out quite well.

Just for curiosity's sake, I tried dropping that fragment into GB. No luck - it still got kicked back two seconds. Kenta, the track isn't locked; just dunno what the issue is. I've never had a character speak in the first two seconds of a scene so it's never come up before.

Anyway, problem has been dealt with. Thanks for the feedback and assistance - you guys are great.