Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
jiguma
Forum Full Member

Passwords - lost and mislaid
Sunday, May 05 2019 @ 09:32 PM CDT

Any clues about finding out what your old password for MJ is? I want to post some PBGB recordings, but can't for the life of me remember the password to login. Ditto for my jiguma password (on my ipad and iPhone) and my alter ego Retro Plien. All lost and not what I have written down - must have changed them at some stage.

I've messaged Simon/Admin, but no response, so if that's our only avenue to login after an absence, it's little wonder a lot of people aren't coming back - especially if new members are unable to enrol.

Oh well Frown

Cheers from Oz,
Neil
jiguma
Forum Full Member

Re:Passwords - lost and mislaid
Sunday, May 05 2019 @ 09:34 PM CDT

While I'm here, what happened to the "no covers" rule? Jeez, wander off for 12 months and the place lowers its standards!
N
mr_mordenus
Forum Full Member

Monday, May 06 2019 @ 06:38 PM CDT

Very little if any admin involvement nowadays. As for no covers... again, little to no admin involvement. MJ functions 'as is' pretty much permanently, it seems.

It's been suggested that Simon has operationally abandoned the place but left the lights on for the regulars who still hang out here. Possibly out of sentiment, I don't know. But the walls that prevent new talent joining are, unfortunately, not coming down.

I also have an early account that still exists, but the password/login don't work. I never changed the password, so who knows what went awry deep in the machine.

Then again, I could be wrong about everything. Smile
Dadai.2
Forum Full Member

Monday, May 06 2019 @ 08:14 PM CDT

Quote by: jiguma
While I'm here, what happened to the "no covers" rule? Jeez, wander off for 12 months and the place lowers its standards!
N

Simon wandered off about 4 years ago. Does he care about the standards, one way or the other?

bronco
Forum Full Member

Monday, May 06 2019 @ 11:31 PM CDT

The last I remember Simon commenting on posting cover's was that any legal action would come against the individual and not the site as our agreement makes us responsible for not doing this.

That said does anyone really think a publishing company is going to come down on someone posting a cover on a very small obscure web site. I know for a fact obout two or three web sites that have had posted covers for the entire life of MacJams and never had any problem with this.

We have had 30 to 50 covers on here over the years, a conservative guess, and no one has suffered from it. Neither the poster, the site or by implication anyone else. I try to avoid any copyright problems by using old folk, blues or jazz tunes but who knows whether any greedy company out there still claims these tunes despite not having written them or paid the original songwriter for them. I lose no sleep over it.
jiguma
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, May 07 2019 @ 12:24 AM CDT

Jack and Tom - it's more a matter of whether we care about standards I reckon. Just for the record, and with no malice intended, I don't comment on covers.
Smile
DWL
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, May 07 2019 @ 09:00 AM CDT

As far as passwords go I think I don't think there's any way back.

I'm OK on the iMac as it keeps my passwords but I can't sign into MJ on my iPad or my phone as I have no idea what the password is (the one I have written down is not right)

Covers? I dunno. I'm not a great fan of listening to covers unless they bring something else to the table. They are useful as a way of understanding how popular songs work and developing technique.

Hanging in with the out crowd (All rights reserved)
AAAA
Forum Newbie

Tuesday, May 07 2019 @ 04:37 PM CDT

if you can log in from any particular device, you can go to Account Information and set your password.
drakonis
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, May 07 2019 @ 06:09 PM CDT

FYI, if you can successfully log in from your Mac, there is hope. You can run the KEYCHAIN utility app on your Mac, scroll through the list of web login passwords until you see macjams, select it, ask to VIEW password, type in your Mac computer password to allow this, and BOOP, it will show you the password you have saved. This is from (old dragon) memory, so some steps might vary a bit, but you can also google finding saved passwords on yuor mac, and it will probably find a web page with specific steps. Anyway, I have done this before successfully. I usually try to write the myriad web sites and passwords down in (two separate) notebooks, so they are never accessible by computer hacking. Hope this helps, and Hi everyone! If anyobody remembers me, I have retired early, disappeared into the forests of Washington (really close to Alannah I think)...and picked up photography and app writing again. Drop into Instagram and look for @schwansongs to see what I am seeing lately 😀

Ttfn,
Drakonis at large

jiguma
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, May 08 2019 @ 06:51 AM CDT

Thanks Drak - good to see you here.
I tried exactly what you suggested, which went smoothly up to the point of getting the password I discovered (which was what I remembered) to work, but then I got a new screen asking for my login and password. This happened on both the PBGB account and my jiguma account on a different browser.
AAAA, I wouldn't dare trying to change my password in account info - no confidence that I wouldn't get locked out permanently.
Oh well Smile